Thursday, April 22, 2010

To Blog or Not To Blog...

While the past few days have been a blast, I realize that perhaps a blog is not the best means of getting everyone involved. A blog requires a voice and though I know everyone has something of value to say, there's an extra step involved in posting something public to the whole interweb (or rather, the 10 people that subscribe to this blog). Yes, it does take a little courage to write something that is completely open to criticism, but at some point you just gotta stop caring and do it. With that said... Ted has strategically suggested a FORUM. So everyone who thought about contributing a post, you still can, but Ted has brought up the point that many people are not the blogging type and would rather quickly drop some one-line comments on things. Thus, the idea of a forum materialized (hehe). This forum will be all encompassing, covering topics from coffee hour kudos to lab equipment borrowing to mat sci parties to roommate finding. This seems perfect, right?! Actually, I really love the idea and am giddy just thinking about it right now, but this still leaves me wondering if there's room for this blog or not. Maybe my original intent was for this to be THE gossip column of the Mat Sci Department, where all secrets would be divulged (actually, not really. Don't think I'm quite that sinister), but the dynamics of a forum are completely different. I mean, when you think of forums, do you think...gossip? No, you think: gaming, LOST, anime, things along those lines. I'm torn and need someone to tell me what to do (doesn't everyone?), but specifically, should we keep this blog going in addition to the forum? Let me know what you think - all 10 of you. =)

[Also, the forum is in the works and it is gonna be awesome. Seriously, I think once we get people going on it, this could be something that continues for generations and generations of mat sci grad students! So watch out for the public unveiling soon...]

No comments:

Post a Comment